The best back massagers can be used for lots of reasons. Perhaps you can’t reach your back for a scratch, so you long for a tool to relieve the itch. You could also have back, neck, and shoulder pain. Hand-held devices are good for for moderate back work. The electric units can be used by professional massage therapists as well as people using them home alone, or with the help of a partner.
You can benefit from any massager style, although it will depend on the condition you’re treating. Hand held massagers offer better energy, flexibility, and can help with unwinding and relaxing after a hard day. Once you begin to use back massagers regularly, your posture will improve, stiff muscles will loosen (since they help disperse lactic acid) and you’ll feel like a new person with better health.
The question is, how do you choose the best back massager from the thousands of massagers in the market? Well that’s where we come in to make that decision a little easier. Through our back massager reviews, you can get to know more about features as well as pros and cons of each product. From there, you can choose the best back massager for you.
Benefits Of Back Massagers
There s a wide amount of research that shows that massage can really improve your health in various ways. Although a few have been mentioned already, there are more. If you are athletic or very active, then you’ll understand the value of boosting muscles recovery speed. To recover, muscles need a lot of nutrients. What massage essentially does is drive nutrients, oxygen and metabolites to move into those muscles far more quickly and efficiently.
And if you’ve ever had a long workout session and woken up stiff as a board and in pain, then back massagers can help there too. When you have muscles pains, point massage can assist in stimulating the release of endorphins (natural painkillers and mood elevators) and reducing levels of certain stress hormones., which help alleviate pain.
When we are very young we start out very flexible (just watch the way babies easily touch their toes) but over time our flexibility decreases. With a good back massager your level of flexibility begins to improve. It is capable of releasing tightness by breaking adhesions in the muscles, it also reduces the scar tissues. Massage can also lower heart rate, together with blood pressure, making it perfect if you ever have trouble sleeping. Massage really is good for your health, physically and mentally. You can find out more at back massage benefits – Livestrong.com.
What to Look for when buying the Best Back Massager
Massagers have various design elements all of them offering specific kinds of relief. You need these following features in order to get the right back massager for your needs and preferences.
- Technique: A massager offers ease and comfort by its specific approach. So shiatsu would be a pressure-based technique which will knead your muscles to reduce long-term stress. The vibrators work to gradually loosen muscles by a series of noninvasive buzzing actions, all of which help in easing the sensitive and sore body parts. A massager is able to combine shiatsu with vibration to give different relief and massage sensation.
- Weight And Size: The massager’s size will be based on whether or not you want it to be portable or not. For example, the full-body models are usually designed to be folded up in order to take up less space. Some massagers will fit in medium sized rucksack, or purse. The size and weight of a massager will also determine how easy it is to use. Lighter models can sometimes be better as they don’t have the added strain of moving and holding them.
- Area: Many massagers are designed for specific areas of the back, while others will focus primarily on the neck. This combination of neck and back can give much more versatility. All you need to do is lie a towel over a chair, and you can have your body fully massaged.
- Various Modes: The stresses of life can hit you at anytime, and you may experience pains and aches that come from these moments. This is why a massager designed with various modes, can help you cope with day to day stresses. Many massagers are designed for separate muscle parts or areas. Being able to switch through various programs or modes means you will always have an enjoyable and fresh routine. Intensity control also mean you can adjust from the light (when you’re feeling too sore) to the high (when you need the highest intense massage that the body can handle).
Not only do back and neck massagers give you comfort for a very long time, they also increase the quality of your life. The bonus being that these handheld massage devices are there whenever you feel stressed out and in need of some instant relaxation.
So the main types in the marketplace today are:
Top 5 Best Back Massagers for 2017
Shiatsu massagers use the Japanese kneading approach along with rotating heads that go in a circular directions. This is superb at releasing tension and sore tight muscles along with targeting all the pain releasing acupressure points.
The device has features that make it easy for anyone to use. One of them would be the large arm straps that enables various arm sizes to fit into comfortably. The padded cover creates surprising comfort for long time usage.The tool comes with flexible piece to wrap on all of your body parts such as: necks, shoulders, or arms. It is extremely easy to set up. All you need to do is plug the machine, place it on the painful areas and get going.
Smaller knobs are also another great feature. This helps the deep tissue massage into tiny and narrow crevices, such as, under the shoulder blades. This product is unquestionably affordable and priced well when compared to many other products on the market. Along with this, the small and portable size allows you to be able to bring it along anywhere.
Brookstone have a longstanding reputation for being reliable with a good warranty. So it’s really no surprise that Shiatsu Neck & Back Massager with Heat is a perfect combination between design and function.
It’s effect on health is one of the main things we look for in back massagers, and this product does not disappoint. It effectively treats hard-to-reach pressure points including necks, back or shoulder. The fundamental use of this tool is dealing with sore muscles and improving blood circulation. This is all achieved thanks to the 2 selectable massage modes which include auto-reversing and single direction. What makes this tool even more impressive are the 8 deep-kneading Shiatsu massage nodes. This completely relieves pressure areas and tight muscles. This truly is a clever device that brings a world of relief.
In addition, you can also adjust the straps – raise or lower them to improve accuracy or simply choose the best massage for you!
- Great for massaging neck, back and shoulder
- 2 effective massage modes
- Fast delivery
- Easy to use and adjust
- Great customer service
- Long cord
- 8 deep-kneading Shiatsu massage nodes
- Selectable heat
- Padded cover for comfort
- Requires plugging into a socket so you will not be able to just get up and walk around.
If ever you need a really good massage and can’t ask anyone to do it for you then the massage pillow Zyllion can help you a lot. This is ergonomically-designed for a deep-kneading shiatsu massage upon many different areas of your body. Relax or relieve muscle tightness on your neck, back, abdomen, thigh, and calf.
Another plus point of this massage pillow is The heating function. This mixes wonderfully with its four nodes that massage the body in rotating or reverse direction every three minutes. So it won’t take too long to feel totally relaxed and relieved. We recommend this to anyone suffering from muscle tensions and stress.
The compact structure is so strong it will bear a great deal of pressure. More importantly, this pillow is created with a safety device which can automatically shut the pillow down.
Finally Zyllion has the no-fuss adjustable straps, this enables you to secure the massager pillow into your favorite chair or anywhere you want to sit. The only thing you may need to think about is the best place to strap this pillow so it fits perfectly on your neck and back or any other area.
- 4 Deep-Kneading Shiatsu Massager Nodes help relax and relieve muscle tightness.
- Heating function that sooths aching muscles.
- Ergonomic design with a 6-cm ultra slim body is perfect to use on lower- & upper-back, neck, abdomen, calf, and thigh areas.
- Adjustable Strap secures the cushion to your favorite chair.
- Equipped with Overheat Protection Device & programmed with 20-minute Auto Shut-Off to ensure safety. (UL approved power adaptor works with both 110-120V & 220-240V electrical outlet) Car charger included!!
- Simple to use or operate
- Reasonable price
- Quite portable
- 20-minute auto shutdown for safety.
- Simple design and long-lasting.
- Some people have said that the rollers on this massager rotate move faster than expected
- Quite noisy.
Comfort Products have had almost 100 years providing consumers with the best-known quality products with affordable prices, and the Relaxzen™10-Motor Massage Cushion is no exception . This comes with heat that can be turned on or off for a great vibrating and rolling massage.
Comfort Products model 60-2910 vibration massage cushion comes in a charcoal/black or lavender faux suede polyester material. It also has a deluxe LCD controller with a side pouch to store it. The built-in memory foam head and neck pillow includes lumbar support pads which are thickly padded and extremely comfortable. There are 10 massage motors for upper, lower, mid-back and thigh areas, as well as independent zones for massage. You can also adjust massage functions to suit your desired intensity. The massage timer is programmable for a heat treatment massage. It runs in increments of 10-minutes then shuts off after 30-minutes. You can turn it on again for another 10-, 20-, or 30-minutes.
The unit comes with A/C and D/C adapters for using in the car, at home, or at the office. Put it in your driver’s seat, office chair, and on your sofa or recliner at home.
Plug into a standard USA 110/120-Volt outlet with the 5.8-foot (70-inch) cord that is UL listed. It comes with an adapter for 240-Volts to use in other countries and a car cigarette adapter. It is not battery operated. The plug and control are on the right side.
The dimensions are 19.5 W x 5.2 D x 21.5 H-inches and weighs about 4 pounds. The back is 26-inches high.
- Very Affordable
- Gives a variety of massage, speeds of massage, intensity of massage
- Adjustable heat levels enabling it to go deep into the muscle
- Can be installed on any chair for a deep relaxing massage
- Some people complain that the heat could be more intense
- The cushion while effective could be more padded for extra comfort
Pure-Wave CM7 Cordless Massager Body + Facial (Dual Mode) for Foot, Legs, Neck, Back, Shoulders
There a few things better than getting a well deserved massage from a massage therapist. If you are not able to get to a massage therapist, or you want to save some money in the long term, The Pure-Wave Body & Facial Massager is a excellent alternative. This is powerful way to relax and ease pains in the legs, neck, as well as other body parts. With the multi-tip six heads and changeable motor speeds, you can control the pressure according to your desire.
This model comes with high praise due to the two motors of percussion and vibration. These help modify the intensity for the shoulders, neck, back, feet, face or head in the scale of firm, medium and soft.
The feature of facial massage sticks is a nice addition. This gives you the ability to use it to put creams and other cleansers on the face and have them penetrate deeper, just as they would in the beauty salon or the barbers. The vibration and the gentle mode, combined with the lotions give you fresher, tighter and more revitalized skin.
Another special feature is within the battery. It contains a built-in Lithium-ion battery which only takes a short time to fully charged, but is quite long lasting. This is the all singing and all dancing massage that does everything in one hand held device.
- POWERFUL CORDLESS + RECHARGEABLE: Powerful cordless percussion massager. High speed percussion motor up to 3,700 RPM. Facial micro-vibration motor on handle side operating up to 10,000 RPM. Variable speed dial to adjust intensity of percussion or vibration.
- LIGHTWEIGHT EASY REACH DESIGN: Easy to hold extra long handle for hard to reach areas. Slim innovative design. Easy to use for self massage or with a partner. Approximate weight & dimensions 1.75 lb., 16.5″ L x 2.75″ W x 3.5″ H.
- BENEFITS: Repetitive acute percussion therapy relieves muscle tension, knots, spasms, aches and pains. Massage helps release trigger points, increase blood flow, relax muscles and gain greater range of motion. Great for use on areas such as neck, back, legs and feet. Five uniquely designed percussion attachments. Plus bonus facial attachment.
- INSTRUCTIONAL VIDEOS: Watch the “Pure Wave CM7 Cordless Massager Out of the Box” video below for how to properly use attachments and how to turn on the percussion motor vs micro-vibration motor.
- INNOVATIVE SLIM DESIGN: Cordless to fit your lifestyle. Great for on-the-go or simply relaxing. Incorporate the Pure Wave into your pre & post workout routines. Powerful enough for professionals but designed for at home therapy and muscle recovery.
- Cordless, lightweight, noiseless and also portable.
- You can use this in all parts of the body (including face)
- Extra long usage time. Can be used in 180 minutes in succession, or about 1 or 2 weeks in minimum mode.
- Time for charging is quite short.
- Quite expensive
- Heavy to lift with one hand.
The Comfort Products model 60-2907P08, 10-Motor Massage Plush Mat with Heat in a polyester fabric of beige or charcoal gray colors will do amazing things for relaxing sore and aching muscles. The covering is super soft covering and it spreads out very flat, making it ideal for adding to your bed top or use on the floor. It can also contour to your favorite chair, recliner, or sofa. This is a vibrating massager and not a kneading or rolling massager.
The digital LED hand-held control helps you select from the 5 preprogrammed and adjustable modes which include 4 zones and a body zone control that you can set the way you want. Additional to that, there are 3 intensity levels to have the massager’s intensity the way you like it. The right side holds the control unit. This massage mat will give you terrific heat in your lumbar region to ease those back pains. The mat folds into 4 padded sections for storage you can take with you. The cover is removable to be washed on gentle cycle in the washing machine.
It takes 7 minutes for your mat to reach its maximum temperature of 140-degrees F. The 10 vibrating motors of low medium and high will focus on the massage zones so all 4 of them will be simultaeneously massaged, from your upper and lower back, to your calves, and thighs or separately if that is what you prefer. At the back there are four straps to attach to your back. The mat automatically shuts off after 30 minutes.
- Very affordable
- Light weight and convenient
- Firm and comfortable enough to get your massage and sleep too if that is what you feel like.
- If you are very tall this mat may not be the right fit for you.
- Some people have complained that the massage nodes can be a little uncomfor
If you are looking for a massager that gives optional heat therapy and gentle yet radiating warmth, then you’ve come to the right place. This massage device has 10 vibrating points, it can penetrate deep into the back to release aches, tension, stress or knots.
Another thing we really love about this devicel is its precise spot massage function.You can select to simultaneously massage every part, a single part or combine them all. This goes a long way in releasing muscle tension.
The Features 4 massaging modes and 4 intensity settings are features that make this massager so popular. There is also the unique strapping system which lets you strap it onto any chair and stay firmly put.
- PRECISE SPOT MASSAGE FUNCTION – The Gideon Vibrating Seat Cushion Massager allows you to select precise massaging points. Select Upper Back, Lower Back, Hips and Thighs. Select to simultaneously massage all points, or select a desired single point or combined massaging points.
- RELIEVE STRESS, ACHES & TENSION – The Gideon Vibrating Seat Cushion Massager has Heat features 10 vibrating points that penetrate deeply into your back to help release stress, aches, tension and knots. It features optional heat therapy, gentle warmth, to sooth and loosen tight muscles.
- DEEP SOOTHING & PENETRATING VIBRATION – Features 10 vibration points that deeply penetrate your tissues and muscles. Releasesmuscle tension; sooths pain, relieves and relaxes aches and knots.
- 4 MASSAGE MODES & 4 INTENSITY SETTINGS – Customize to suit your massaging experience . Features 4 massaging modes (Pulsate, Tapping, Rolling and Kneading) and 4 intensity settings.
- EASY-TO-USE CORDED HAND CONTROL – Convenient and easy-to-use corded hand control keypad to select and control functions. / Features a unique strapping system that enables you to simply attach the massager to any seat, keeping the massager firmly in place. / SPECIFICATIONS: Use in office, home or car; plugs into an AC outlet or DC car plug (6 ft. AC and DC cables included) / Color: Black
- The corded hand control is simple to use
- Has lots of features and accessories to gives you more options and comfort when it comes to your massage.
- Heat button allows you to control the heat, which is incredibly good.
- Can connect in car or house.
- Many vibration levels along with intensities
- Longer straps which are designed with Velcro (for more flexibility) are preferable.
- There have been complaints by customers that this can be a little loud when it action.
The Jeanie® Variable Speed PRO-3401 professional rub massager is made by Core® Products International™ in Osceola, Wisconsin USA. The Jeanie has been a professional massage therapists’ favorite since 1966 and has held on to its solid reputation since then. But this isn’t just for the professionals, home owners also love this powerful massager. Chiropractors and medical professionals recommend this particular massager for neuropathy, fibromalgia, specific back issues and much more.
This powerful and awesome unit relieves any problem for arms, back, chest, elbows, feet, hands, hips, legs, pelvis, and shoulder areas, returning flexibility to the joints and ease of movement
The percussion massage style is a good option for anyone who is sporty. This increases muscle recovery while also giving a good massage. With just a flip of a switch it runs at 1600 to 4600 RPMs. With the orbital motion, the massage is deep yet soft. As any therapist worth their salt knows, fast speeds are invigorating while lower speeds give a more soothing massage for relaxation. This is a top unit for all types of massage, loosening up knots and getting rid of tension and tight muscles. A knob on the unit varies the speed.
The unit is made of cast aluminum and has a powder coat finish in black and red. It will give you years of use and repels abrasions. Built in the USA to ANSI Standards, and CSA certified, these tough working massagers meet and exceed safety standards for consumers.
The 12-foot power cord plugs into a USA grounded 3-prong receptacle, 110/120-Volts. It cannot be used with 220/240-Volts power.
You can also watch this video for some more helpful information.
- Gives a deep and satisfying massaging, increasing muscle recovery
- Comes highly recommended by specialists
- Has shown positive affects on conditions such as neuropathy, fibromyalgia and certain back issues
- Is certified to meet excellent standards, so is hardwearing
- Quite expensive
- Can be a little noisy
Back massaging is an perfect way to unwind and relax your body. Aside from the initial cost, it actually saves you money in the long term since you can do what the professional massage therapists do at a fraction of the cost. All the massagers we have already introduced above have received lots of good back massager reviews, therefore it can be used as a helpful guide to get the best back massager. However, every product has its own advantages and disadvantages. We hope you choose the one that is absolutely suitable to your own needs! Happy shopping!
Please note. Do not use the massager in close proximity to loose clothing or jewelry. Keep long hair away from the massager while in use. Be sure to drink lots of water to remove toxins from your body that massagers will generate.