The paleo diet is based on eating the way our ancestors that were hunters and gatherers did. This includes foods that are in unprocessed and natural.
This diet is very easy to follow and offers health benefits as well as weight looks. From all the great advantages the paleo diet provides, it really looks like the cavemen were on to something!
To eat like our hunter gatherer ancestors means that you can eat everything that can be hunted or collected such as: meat, fish, seeds, nuts, green leafy vegetables, vegetables of the region.
I’m sorry to say that does not include pasta, cereal, breads or sweets. Instead, you are going to feed yourself with some very delicious food.
In this diet you are not occupied with counting calories. Counting calories is just a part of dieting, and lets face it, not all calories are the same. The 500 calories from a bag of Doritos is going to have very different impact on your body than (for example) 500 calories of chicken with high quality vegetables.
Genetically we have hardly changed in thousands of years, our cave ancestors are genetically the same as us. They survived based on the foods they found in nature and did not suffer from obesity, diabetes and heart disease. Of course their life expectancy was far shorter because they lacked the medical treatments we have today, home security, not to mention that they were chased on a regular basis by large carnivores.
Several studies have found weight loss significantly higher in the paleo diet than other diets, it also improves glucose tolerance (ideal for diabetics ), all without having to really count calories. ( 1 ) ( 2 )
How to eat on the paleo diet
There is no right diet for everyone, we are all different. Our ancestors had different diets, depending on the type of food they had access to.
Some had low carbohydrates and high levels of food from animals, others had many carbohydrates in the diet from plants.
You can adapt your diet according to your needs.
The basics of the paleo diet
Foods you can eat: Fish, meat, eggs, seeds, nuts, herbs, oils, healthy fats, spices, fruits, oils and healthy fats.
Foods to Avoid: Processed food, sodas, grains, bread, pasta, sugar, most dairy products, legumes, trans fats, margarine, vegetable oils, artificial sweeteners.
Avoid these foods
- Sugar and high fructose corn syrup : Sodas , fruit juices, sugar, cakes, sweets, table sugar, icing sugar and many other sugary foods.
- Grains: Including pasta and bread, wheat, barley, rye.
- Legumes : Lentils, beans, peanuts, alfalfa.
- Dairy products: Above all avoid dairy products classified as low in fat.
- Vegetable oils: Corn oil , sunflower oil , soybean oil, cottonseed oil and more.
- Trans fats : Found in margarine and other processed foods. They are usually referred to as hydrogenated oils.
- Artificial sweeteners : Like aspartame, sucralose. You can use stevia .
- Highly processed foods: All foods called “diet” or “low fat” you should avoid. If you check your label and see you have dozens of strange additives, you can be sure they will hurt your body and make you fat.
A simple way to avoid these foods, if what you’re going to eat looks like it was made in a factory, don’t put it in your mouth.
To really avoid these foods, make sure that you read the labels of everything you eat – even if it’s marketed as “healthy food” or “good health food”, most of the times it really isn’t.
Food to eat in the paleo diet
- Meat: beef, chicken, lamb, turkey, pork and more.
- Fish and seafood: Salmon, trout, tilapia, shrimp and more.
- Eggs: You can eat them with yolk or yolk.
- Vegetables: Broccoli, chili, tomatoes, carrots, etc.
- Fruits: Apples, bananas, avocados, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, etc.
- Tubers: Potatoes, sweet potatoes or potatoes, turnips, etc.
- Nuts and seeds: Almonds, walnuts, sunflower seeds, chia seeds etc.
- Healthy fats and oils: coconut oil , avocado oil , bait, butter and more.
- Salt and other spices: Salt, turmeric, garlic and rosemary .
If you can only eat grass fed animals and organic foods. If it is very expensive in your region, try to eat things that are the least processed.
What you can eat in some paleo circles and in others not
In recent years the paleo community has quickly become involved.
There are many versions of the paleo diet. In some versions food is allowed that science has found to be healthy.
In some versions pork is allowed, butter and in some versions of rice are allowed (in the original version this is not allowed).
Many people see the paleo diet as a guide to leading a healthier life, not as a set of strict rules that cannot be broken.
What you can eat or drink in small quantities:
The following you can consume it only in small quantities:
Wine: Quality red wine is high in antioxidants.
Black Chocolate: Choose one that has 70% cocoa. Black chocolate is very nutritious in small amounts.
Drinks for the paleo diet
You should drink water as much as you can. Avoid all kinds of artificial drinks.
Most commercial drinks are not paleo, so most people in the paleo community consume are:
Tea: It is high in antioxidants and has many other benefits. The best is green tea .
Coffee: It has antioxidants and many other benefits.
Example of a paleo diet menu:
This is an example of what a weekly menu would look like following the paleo diet.
Adjust your menu according to your preferences:
- Breakfast: Egg with spinach, cooked with coconut oil . A cucumber.
- Food: Chicken salad, with olive oil and almonds.
- Dinner: Tuna with serrano chili.
- Breakfast: Bacon with eggs. A piece of fruit.
- Food: Tuna salad with walnuts.
- Dinner: Salmon with spinach.
- Breakfast: Meat with avocado
- Food: A sandwich (without bread) using as bread the lettuce inside it chicken, with tomato, some sauce.
- Dinner: Ground beef with vegetables
- Breakfast: Eggs with ham
- Food: Ground beef in red sauce. Almonds
- Dinner: Tuna with tomato.
- Breakfast: Eggs and vegatales cooked in coconut oil. Some fruit.
- Food: Meat with avocado and vegetables
- Dinner: Chicken salad with almonds
- Breakfast: Egg with bacon. Some fruit.
- Food: Chicken salad with nuts.
- Dinner: Chicken wings .
- Breakfast: Meat in red sauce with vegetables
- Food: Sandwich (without bread) of chicken, using lettuce as cover.
- Dinner: Salmon with Avocado.
There is no need to count calories in the paleo diet, nor the amount of macronutrients. At least at the beginning, since your body is accustomed (from 3 to 8 months) to paleo diet.
If your goal is to lose weight you should limit carbohydrates, nuts and potatoes.
How to eat paleo diet at a restaurant
- Order a dish with the base of chicken, meat or fish
- Tell the waiter that you want to change the rice or bread for vegetables
- Ask the waiter to cook your food in coconut or olive oil
Appetizers in the paleo diet
With 3 meals a day is enough to have energy during the day. If you still get hungry you can eat some appetizer like the following:
- Cooked egg
- Mini carrots
List of the paleo diet essentials
There are a lot of foods you can eat in the paleo diet. Below is an example of a paleo diet essential list:
- Meats: Ground beef, pork
- White meat: Chicken, turkey
- Fish and seafood: Tilapia, shrimp, salmon, tuna
- Fresh vegetables: Lettuce, tomatoes, carrots, chilies, onions
- Frozen Vegetables: Spinach and Broccoli
- Fruits: Avocado, bananas, apples and raspberries
- Nuts and almonds
- Coconut oil
- Olive oil
- Almond butter
- Sweet potato
- Condiments: Salt, garlic, pepper, etc.
Clean your junk food item, do not have processed foods inside your house: like soda, cookies, candy, etc. It doesn’t matter if you have a wll of iron, if you have the junk around the temptation to eat it will come along some day. So get it out of the way!
Paleo Diet Recipes
- Paleo Ground Beef Tacos
- Salmon Wasabi Burgers
- How To Make Zucchini Noodles
- Spicy Chicken With Grilled Lime
- Homemade Sour Strawberry Gummies
How To Find More Information on Paleo Diet
Books that I recommend:
“The Paleo Solution: Original Human Diet ” by Robb Wolf. It talks a lot about biochemistry, most of the book is the science behind this diet. Personally it is one of my favorite nutrition books.