Not even an hour of crunches can achieve a toned belly along with a whole cargo of other health benefits. Well who needs endless crunches when you have the plank! The plank, is one of the best exercises to obtain and maintain a totally flat, toned belly. It tightens and strengthens the main core muscles in your abdominal area, including:
- Rectus abdominis: (muscles deeper in the abdomen) responsible for getting that six pack along with improving sports performance
- Transverse abdominal: muscle (TVA): helps with pelvic stability ad also keeps the spine straight
- Obliques muscles: The largest muscle in the abdomen, used for turning and waist-twisting
- Glutes, This causes the body to regain the erect position after stooping, by drawing the pelvis backward
- Hips, legs and back. When you do abdominal plank daily, you feel incredible changes in your body and in your mind. Though it looks simple, what else is it about this exercise that make it such a powerful ab exercise?
Amazing transformations just from doing the plank exercise
1. Strengthens your abdomen
The plank exercise will strengthen all the muscles that are attached to the abdomen. It goes beyond the abdominal muscles. It also includes muscles on the sides, back, buttocks, and even shoulders and arms.Reehut 1/2-Inch Extra Thick High Density NBR Exercise Yoga Mat for Pilates, Fitness & Workout w/ Carrying Strap (Purple)
2. Improves posture
By strengthening the abdomen your posture will improve. The abdominal muscles can become weak, particularly if you are sitting in the office all day. If at the end of the day, you feel like your posture is a little crooked, this is usually due to a lack of strength in the abdomen.
3. Improves balance
If you’ve ever tried to balance on one leg you’ll know how tricky it can be. It’s not just one of those things some people seem to able to do, your balance or lack of is mostly down to the strength of your abdominal muscles. Your abdomen is the function you balance with only one leg. The abdominal muscles play an important role in overall balance and stability.
4. Increases metabolism
The secret to increasing your metabolism is developing the muscles that will burn calories even when you are at rest. Your resting metabolism will increase with the development of your muscles. Abdominal plank will strengthen your muscles and give your metabolism that extra jolt.
5. Improves flexibility
Flexibility is one of the main benefits of doing plank exercises. This exercise works on the posterior muscle groups, (shoulders, shoulder blades and collarbone). It dose this by stimulating these muscles and encouraging them to work together.
6. Prevents back pain
Back pain can be the result of a weak abdomen. When you begin to start with plank exercises, you can drastically reduce back pain. Plank exercises not only strengthen your core abdomen muscles, but also your upper back area.
7. Strengthens arms and gives you a perfect abdomen
There’s a another bonus to doing plank exercises, not only do you get a tighter stronger core, it will also strengthen your arms muscles along with your thighs and buttocks.
8. Relieves stress
When you do planks every day, you will be developing and stretching muscles that cause pain and muscle cramps. These aches and pains are often caused by STRESS. When you are relax, your muscles will loosen and become less tense. The less tense your muscles, the less anxious you feel. Another tinng about doing plank exercises is that while you do them, you can just empty your mind for a while. Bliss. The focus it takes to do the exercise is kind of a distraction anyway.
So while you work your muscles you will also have relieve the levels of stress and since stress increases cortisol a hormone that at high levels can cause belly fat, the less stress the better you will look and feel.
Plank before and after: Below are some amazing body transformations in just 30 days doing the plank exercise
Instructions: How to do the Planks Correctly
- Begin the exercise with a push-up position: hands directly under your shoulders, toes on the floor and a straight body.
- Put your forearms on the ground instead of your hands. Your elbows should be directly under your shoulders and your toes on the floor (if it is too much of a strain, start with your knees on the ground).
- Keep your body in a straight line (buttocks not too high), tighten your buttocks and try to draw navel inward. You should immediately feel it in your abs.
- Keep during the exercise to look at the floor in order to maintain a neutral neck and back position.
- Make a straight, strong line from head to toe – a plank. Stay in this position, trying to keep a full plank for as long as you can
Plank Exercise Video
Love this article? Share it with your friends on Facebook